The children's law centre opened in September 1997 and is
founded on the principles laid down in the United Nations
Convention on the Rights of the Child, in particular,
- Art 2, Children shall not be discriminated against and
shall have equal access to protection.
- Art 3, All decisions taken which affect children's lives
should be taken in child's best interest.
- Art 12, Children have the right to have their voices heard
in all matters concerning them.
"It is good to have rights so no one can hurt us"
If you are a young person click here to go to CHALKY's advice page or here to go to our Do You Know Your Rights leaflets
To get more information about the law
in the following areas go to our Members' page where our information
pack is available on-line:
and the Youth Justice System
- Children's Rights are Human Rights - Paper for SLS 2007
Rights are Human Rights- Paper for SLS and the Human Rights
Centre, 6 March 2006
- Children's Rights are Human Rights-Powerpoint Presentation
- Suspension and Expulsion Procedures for children and young people in Northern Ireland
Law Relating to the Employment of Children
and Social Security
You Know Your Rights About Police Powers
and Young People who are looked After/In Care
Arrangements for Children Leaving Care-Guidance issued by
Young People and Discrimination
Young People and Race Discrimination
and Young People and the Sex Discrimination (NI) Order 1976
and Young People and the Employment, Equality (Sexual Orientation)
Regulations (NI) 2003 (as amended)
- Children's Rights and Mental Health